Board Certified Dermatologist | Dr. Robert Moraru
OFFICES IN LOWER MANHATTAN & EAST HAMPTON
Most Insurance Accepted | No Medicaid, Fidelis or HealthFirst
We know that eczema (also known as atopic dermatitis) is a frustrating and uncomfortable condition that can cause skin damage, infection, sleep loss, and discomfort. Dr. Moraru not only treats the acute symptoms of eczema to help heal skin and provide relief, but he also counsels you on specific lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of future outbreaks.
Symptoms of Eczema
Eczema can occur on almost any part of the body but eczema on the face, scalp, inside of the elbows, knees, ankles and hands are the most common areas people get eczema. The symptoms of eczema include:
- Extremely itchy patches of skin
- Rash and scales
- Areas of dry, leathery skin
- Blisters that ooze and crust over
- Redness and inflammation in the affected area
- Scratching can introduce infectious agents into the skin leading to secondary complications including bacterial infection and permanent scars
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, up to 20 percent of children and one to three percent of adults will develop atopic eczema.
If you experience any of the symptoms above, call our lower Manhattan or East Hampton to schedule an appointment with Dr. Moraru to learn which treatments options are best for you. Our Lower Manhattan office is located in the Financial District near Wall Street.
What Causes Eczema?
There are many reasons a person can get eczema. These causes include:
- An overreaction to environmental triggers by the body’s immune system
- Allergies or asthma
- A defect in the skin which causes it to not properly regulate moisture and germs
- Irritants such as soaps, detergents, and certain fabrics
- Stress from work, family or social issues
- Climate – dramatic decreases in humidity can trigger eczema and cold, damp conditions can hamper eczema treatments
- Animal dander
- Upper respiratory infections
Though there is no cure for eczema, its effects can be controlled through diligent care. Dr. Moraru will create a customized treatment plan to help you treat your eczema.